The Barrington Region
A Birds-Eye Tour of the Barrington Area
Welcome to the Barrington Area – a community with lush landscapes, quaint downtowns, and thriving businesses. From businesses located in historic homes dating back to the 1800s, to one of the region’s most successful shopping malls, the Barrington Area is a vibrant community rich in resources.
The Barrington Area is renowned for its country living, commitment to open green spaces and historic preservation endeavors. The region offers charming historic downtowns, first-rate shopping and cultural resources, equestrian farms, wooded rolling landscapes, and idyllic lakes. Residents and business owners all take an active role in the community, and share enormous civic pride in all aspects of life here. Visit the Barrington area for a satisfying meal… a unique shopping experience… a stroll through downtown…. It’s happening here in Barrington!
For more information on where to Shop, Dine, Buy, Go, visit our Business Directory.
Barrington IL Area General Community Profile
AREA: Approximately 107 square miles
AREA VILLAGES: (11) Barrington, Barrington Hills, Lake Barrington, North Barrington, Port Barrington, South Barrington and Deer Park, Inverness, Kildeer Long Grove and Tower Lakes.
POPULATION (From 2013 Census):
- Barrington- 10, 361
- Barrington Hills- 4,232
- Lake Barrington- 4,970
- South Barrington- 4,713
- North Barrington- 3,036
- Port Barrington- 1,509
- Inverness- 7,549
- Tower Lakes-1,277
- Long Grove- 8,058
- Kildeer- 3,968
- Deer Park- 3,228
DISTANCE FROM CHICAGO – 35 miles.
CLIMATE: 33.85 inches annual average rainfall; 49.57 mean temperature; coldest month January, 24.5 average temperature; warmest month August, 74.8 average temperature; altitude-highest point 890 feet.
CHURCHES: 15 churches representing 11 denominations.
BUSINESS/INDUSTRY (From 2013 Census):
- Barrington- 4, 372 businesses
- Lake Barrington- 806 businesses
- South Barrington- 653 businesses
- North Barrington- 338 businesses
- Port Barrington- 92 businesses
- Inverness-617 businesses
- Tower Lakes- 92 businesses
- Long Grove-924 businesses
- Kildeer-359 businesses
- Deer Park-420 businesses
- Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital-Barrington
- Alexian Brothers Center for Mental Health, Arlington Heights
- NCH Immediate Care Centers, Lake Zurich
- Northwest Community Hospital, Arlington Heights
- St. Alexius Medical Center, Hoffman Estates.
LIBRARY: Barrington Area Library, (847) 382-1300, www.balibrary.org
- Chicago Marriott – Northwest, Hoffman Estates, www.chicagomarriottnorthwest.com
- Comfort Inn – Chicago, Hoffman Estates, www.comfortinn.com/hotel-hoffman-estates-illinois-il360
- Hampton Inn & Suites, Deer Park, www.chicagodeerparksuites.hamptoninn.com
- Hawthorn Suites Hotel, Hoffman Estates, www.hawthorn.com/hotel/46507
- Hilton Garden Inn, Hoffman Estates, www.hoffmanestates.hgi.com
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Lake Zurich, www.hiexpress.com/lakezurich
- Barrington Courier-Review
- The Daily Herald
- The Chicago Tribune
- Quintessential Barrington Magazine
- SW Lake Lifestyle Magazine
MEDIAN AGE/HOUSEHOLD INCOME (From 2013 Census):
- Barrington- 42 years old, $106, 489
- Barrington Hills- 50.2 years old, $119, 565
- Lake Barrington- 55.2, $91, 272
- South Barrington- 48.5, $170, 197
- North Barrington- 47.2, $155, 511
- Port Barrington- 40.1, $102, 639
- Inverness- 52.2, $152, 993
- Tower Lakes- 44.7, $150, 833
- Long Grove- 44, $188, 750
- Kildeer-44, $157, 222
- Deer Park- 46.8, $145, 596
RECREATION: There are five park districts in the Barrington Area, one public golf course, 5 private. Barrington Park District, www.barringtonparkdistrict.org, offers recreational areas, swimming pools, tennis courts, soccer and baseball fields, and picnic and play areas, as well as a multitude of programs.
SCHOOLS: Barrington 220: www.barrington220.org, 1 high school, 2 middle schools, 8 elementary schools, 1 early childhood center. Also an independent community college and parochial school.
UTILITIES: Telephone and internet-Ameritech, Comcast; Power and gas – Commonwealth Edison and Northern Illinois Gas; Water – Village of Barrington, municipal wells; sanitary and storm sewer system.